Mandala Wines covers two properties in the rolling hills of the Yarra Valley in regional Victoria. The Yarra Junction vineyard was selected for its high altitude, which offers great character to the exclusive Pinot Noir vines. The Dixons Creek vineyard harvests Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Merlot, across a 104-acre panorama of vines, dams, kangaroos and tranquillity.
Our vines are hand-pruned, hand-harvested and low yield. When weather and vintage follow the absolute desire of the grapes, we are able to make exceptional single-site wines that showcase what the vineyards are capable of, including:
- 'The Compass' Chardonnay from Dixons Creek, single site - vintages 2012, 2013
- 'The Prophet' Pinot Noir from Yarra Junction, single site - vintages 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
- 'The Black Lab' Pinot Noir from Yarra Junction, single site - vintages 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
- 'The Butterfly' Cabernet Sauvignon from Dixons Creek, single site - vintages 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
- 'The Rock' Shiraz from Dixons Creek, single site - vintages 2010, 2012, 2013
- 'The Matriarch' Pinot Noir from Dixons Creek, single site - vintages 2010, 2012, 2013
Click onto our Wines List page to find out the inspiration behind our single-site range!
Our Yarra Junction vineyard is home to 10 acres of 'Burgundian clone' Pinot Noir vines Charles lovingly planted on a North-facing slope in 1999. This particular slice of the Yarra Valley map has a colder climate and records greater rainfalls. The clay loam and volcanic mix soil contributes to exceptional Pinot Noir growing conditions.
The Dixons Creek vineyard is Mandala's home; the vines carve through rolling hills of this elevated picturesque Yarra Valley landscape around dams, fruit trees, a family home as well as the Mandala Cellar Door and DiVino Ristorante. The Dixons Creek vineyard has a clay loam soil and houses 25-year-old Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Merlot vines.
The Winemaking Team
Mandala Wines Owner and Vigneron Charles Smedley has a serious passion for Pinot Noir, and over 27 years' experience in the wine industry - working in Australia, Europe and Asia across a range of senior production, retail and viticultural roles for international brands.
Mandala Winemaker Don Pople has over 10 years in the industry and a degree in Viticultural Science and Wine Production. Don's winemaking has taken him beyond Australia to New Zealand and California's Napa Valley! He spent 7 years in WA's Margaret River before joining the Mandala Winemaking team in time for vintage 2018.